Friday, October 18, 2013

Exporting is Scary

An email arrives:

John, it is no wonder why exporting is not a more common activity in the US. The exporting jargon is so complex that the whole process is scary. I know just enough to be dangerous. 

I am grateful that you are telling me exactly what to say.   Don't think for a minute that I could do any of this without you.
Thank you for being my mentor.

I'll keep you posted as to his reply and hopefully we can celebrate with a cyberspace "high five" when this venture is successfully over.

I reply:


Thanks for the kind words.  Let me tell you, I get scared just advising...  just the word FOB causes a lot of confusion.  FOB in int'l trade always means on the vessel in the port between the seller and the buyer, whereas domestically it can mean the warehouse of the buyer.  And as I said, with legal implications!

Another reason to have the MOQ FOB is you have a basic offer down, one you and your FF and banker are all expertly apprised.  For every inquiry from everywhere in the world, that is your offer.  Since you are expert in that very simple, clear offer, any variance requested shines for clear and simple response.

So I encourage you to get the MOQ FOB done, so you can make this exporting no more difficult than a domestic sale.   This two pallet quantity sounds like a good sized MOQ FOB quote.  Why not work it up with an FOB Elizabeth NJ and a FOB Long Beach version, so you can sell the world as easily as you sell San Francisco?

John


Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So MOQ FOB quote is basically between the warehouse and the Ship in Sellers country ? What is the best way to find importer trade shows so you can direct market your FOB MOQ. Google export trade shows in XYZ country for XYZ product ? Or are there better sources than google ?

John Wiley Spiers said...

Yes, to all, but start with google...

John

Anonymous said...

Jon,

In your export classes you say to not worry about your buyer and your supplier cutting you out. If my supplier is a small business should I be more worried about this ? It seems logical to cut out the broker if you are the supplier and can easily figure out where the product is going. Why should the importer purchase from us when he can purchase exw right from the suppliers warehouse? What can we do to protect ourselves ?

John Wiley Spiers said...

If you are the broker to be cut out, why did they work with you in the first place? To find business? Once found, cut out he who found it?

To be sure you must always be able to answer the question "Why will the buy form me?" Then test your answer with your customers: "I believe you will continue to buy form me because I am valuable in helping you find USA suppliers and handling all the USA side problems. Is this true?"

Yes, there are no guarantees in life, and no point in complaining about disappointments. Find out where you are valuable, and work there. All you have to do is ask.

You cannot be afraid in business.