Saturday, October 26, 2013

How Long It Takes

Yesterday's post precipitated this inquiry:
Dear John.
May I ask you the following question:
How much time did it take to go from starting as a self-employed enterpreneur to finally reach your dream lifestyle?
Thanks in advance.
The premise in this question is there is a formula that one can follow.  Like, get a business degree, take the courses for a CPAs license, pass the test, and then voila' you are a CPA.

I've had my dream lifestyle since the day I was born.  But, hey sometimes things don't work out.    Why would anyone want to know about mine?  I think a person would want to know about THEIR dream lifestyle.  No one can help you with that, because it muse be discovered, and probably the best/fastest way is to start your own business.

Your dream lifestyle is a matter of personal transformation, something I do not offer.  What I do offer is how to find that business saving time and money.  There is no other template for how things will work out for you, and to ask the question is to expect there is.

Start by shifting to where no other experiences matter, you are creating something new for yourself, by serving others.  Don't look for heros.

When you hit the right passion/joy balance you could care less about anyone else's journey.

Get there, there is no guru or example for you to follow, just tactics and attitude, and the thing no one else can do right, except you.

 Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear John.

I am the one who made that inquire. I understand that the dreamstyle and personal transformation is something that I should discover myself instead of searching models to follow...

Then allow me to ask you a more pragmatic question:

In your case how long did it take you to go from working from someone else to be completely and "sustainable" selfemployed and successful importer-exporter?

Thank you very much for your time and for replying my previous question.

martinstartup said...

John this is Martin from the export food course.

I am doing my homework and I am creating the landing pages, here what I have done so far:

http://beeroffer.bwyrsite.org/

Please let me know what I should improve on this landing. Please feel free to use this correction in another post of your site, so everyone can benefit from my mistakes.

Thank you John

Martin (Yes,I am bloggin this process of building the sites too)

John Wiley Spiers said...

To Anonymous,

This is nicely juxtaposed with Martin's post. See the difference in attitude/concern? You ask...

In your case how long did it take you to go from working from someone else to be completely and "sustainable" selfemployed and successful importer-exporter?

Well, the day after I quit my job, by the grace of God I was completely and sustainably self-employed. So all you have to do is quit your job to get there. Does that help?

How do you define "success"? I am pretty sure whatever you replied I'd find your idea of success repellent, as you would find mine. There is not objective measure of success, so why ever ask such a question?

I have never met anyone I would trade places with, but I would not wish my life on a dog. All of my problems are a result of my actions so I cannot complain, but I am free to repent and continue onward and upward. Eventually.

AS Bertolt Brecht said, a man can reform his life with his dying breath. There is a more important question, if true.

Anonymous said...

@martin: I wanted to know if you could write your blog in English as well? I'm not proficient in Spanish.

Martin said...

John is this you?
Or is this someone else?

John Wiley Spiers said...

Wasn't me Martin, I took Latin in high school so I can figure out what is being written.

John

Martin said...

To anonymous above.

First, thanks for your interest in my blog. I wouldn´t mind to write it in Spanish. Nevertheless I seriously doubt it would help you for the following reasons:

-It is about the bureaucratic echoes that I am currently facing in my country so it is centered around what happens in my country (Chile)

-If you are american or from any English speaking countries. I think you will find John´s blog way more useful than mine. John is master while me I am still triying to start.

Here´s a good video about exporting, John explains a strategy even about how to get customers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM1RHLpkx7g

Good Luck and thanks again

Martin