Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Tombstone

I am only through the introduction and the first eleven pages of Tombstone by Yang Yisheng, and the greatest famine in history, China, 1958-1962.  That it was a man-made famine is clear enough, but to read the thoughts and attitudes and self-delusion of the principal actors, plus the inability of victims to make the connection between policy and the dead people around them is astonishing to read.  The scary part is the Communist Party Line is identical to the USA party line today: Get big or get out.

I invite people to read along with me:


This is the English translation and the Chinese version is available as well.

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a link missing?

John Wiley Spiers said...

I see a link for the book tombstone on amazon, how about you?

John

Anonymous said...

No Amazon link (it is just a blank space) is shown under the statement "I invite people to read along with me:"

I'm using Safari for iMac. I checked the Preferences settings and I can't figure out what is causing the problem.

John Wiley Spiers said...

Interesting.. I've noticed amazon/google fights over the years for revenue from links... but simple enough... go to amazon directly and check out the book tombstone by Yang Yisheng...

Anonymous said...

hmmm, I actually didn't think about this possibility (but maybe I'm just too naive): Could Apple, Google or whoever, be hindering relationships or access to a potential competitor? Even if your trying to link to their site? Isn't that illegal?

I will check out the book on Amazon then.

John Wiley Spiers said...

come, come... online competition is a blood sport... I've seen plenty of plays and counter plays... for me the stakes are low... for those two they are high...

John

Anonymous said...

Can a link to the reviewed books to Apple iBooks or Google Print be added? Would that make a difference?

Does internet explorer or other web browsers have the same problem?

I use Comcast, could that be a problem?