Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Medical Tourism - Part Two

Larry checks in with this...

Hi, John.  Regarding your medical tourism blog post: I was in Bangkok three weeks ago on a layover.  Before I left “the sandbox” I made appointments at Bumrungrad and Thantakit Dental Clinic.  I spent one hour at the dental clinic (clean and modern by any standard) having my teeth cleaned and two filings repaired; total cost about $100 U.S.  

From there I went to Bumrungrad.  I literally felt as though I was checking into a five star hotel.  I had not had a prostate exam for a while and I wanted to have a complete blood workup as well.  I made the appointment over the internet, explaining the areas I wished to cover. 

 I was assigned a urologist and given an appointment time.  I checked in with a receptionist in the internal medicine area. Within two hours I had a complete blood evaluation, ultra sound scans of my liver, kidneys and prostate and last, a visit with the urologist.  When I sat down with the urologist he accessed all of my records on his computer. He had the complete results of the blood tests as well as the images from the ultra-sound (the ultra sound was in an adjacent building and I had already spoken with the radiologist in that area). 

The two hour visit cost me about $400 U.S.  Two hours to have all of that work accomplished, to me, was unbelievable.  It was not as though I visited the hospital on a slow day.  The entire facility was almost wall to wall people.  And, obviously, people from all over the world.  The electronic signs in the various areas  displayed in multiple languages.  And to top it all off, I was paid to make the trip to Bangkok.  If you have anyone interested in recommendations for medical/dental care in Thailand please feel free to give them my email address. While I wouldn’t make the trip to Thailand/Bumrungrad just to have blood tests, I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to go for major medical procedures.

***

See, under corporate fascism, "health care" is "free" but it costs a crushing amount, and it is not medicine.  Under a free market, health care does not cost much, but it is actually medicine.  You pay cash, because a cure or a treatment is no more than a good meal. And further, to win an economic battle, it is done unilaterally, as Thailand has not sought anyone's agreement to take the lead in health care.  It only requires freedom, something long gone in USA.

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


0 comments: