Monday, October 27, 2014

Guns and Schools

Yet again a kid kills at school.  When I hear "we have to do something about the guns" I know there will be no change.

Variously we are told the shooter in this instance was involved in a rivalry over a girl, or was heartbroken or whatever, or awkward and then shot the place up.  Now, think back to when you were in high school, if say from 1980 back.  Prior to 1980, we we not shovelling drugs at kids who did not fit into the factory model of education.  That became widespread up post-1980.

I graduated high school in 1973, in Seattle, and I cannot think of anyone I knew who did not have guns in the house.  We went shooting often enough, and the college at which my father taught to this day has a gun and rifle club.  We all knew where the weapons were and how to use them.  Today, I cannot think of many people I know who keep guns handy.  Yet, with all of this "gun control" there are the shootings.  Why no shootings back then when guns were easier, and more now when guns are less easy?  It's the drugs.  We drug kids to behave in ways they normally would not.  In enough instances, the abnormal behavior is to shoot 'em up.

If you recall, you too had rivalries over someone attractive to you, or you discovered the blues, that experience when you realize you cannot make someone love you.  Or you felt like an outsider, or whatever.    What did we do back then?  We grew up.    Kids are not chemically imbalanced until the drugs are introduced by the doctor to whom the kid is referred by the school counselor.  We infantilize kids instead of letting them grow up.

When I hear "it's the guns" I know the solution will not be forthcoming.  It is against the law now, but just make a law that says all shooters' medical records become permanent public record immediately and then you'll see: it's the drugs, not the guns.

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


0 comments: