Saturday, January 31, 2015

U S A Airports

Some thirty per cent of applications for business visas to the USA are rejected, and those who do come here, even in transit, are subjected to unwarranted indignities that are repulsive:
You step off the plane and make your way to the immigration hall, which as always is packed to capacity. After standing in line for more than an hour, you’re photographed and fingerprinted before finally being released into the baggage claim and customs hall. (Or maybe it takes even longer: after docking at the gate, airline station personnel inform you that due to extremely long lines at immigration, all passengers are being asked to remain aboard the aircraft for the time being.) Not to mention, if you’re coming from a country that’s not on the U.S. visa waiver list, you’ll need to have obtained a visa in advance just to begin this process, no matter if you’re only passing through.
And there is a result...
Two years ago in a CNN poll of 1,200 overseas business travelers who’ve visited the United States, twenty percent said they would not visit the country again due to onerous entry procedures at airports, including long processing lines. Forty-three percent said they would discourage others from visiting. Separately, in a copy of Air Line Pilot magazine, U.S. Chamber of Commerce counsel Carol Hallett stated that “the United States risks falling behind Asia, the Middle East, and Europe as the global aviation leader.”
When you are a criminal regime, you fear even when no one is pursuing you.  Our security state reflects this, making everyone a criminal suspect.  Even people just passing through max security airport lounges.

Then this:
There’s not much we can do about geography. 
O yes there is!  You can stop invading other peoples' geography to steal their natural resources to fund our welfare programs.  You can order the governance of your own geography in a way that is not repulsive to honest, productive people.  You can behave in a way that does not cause a critical mass of people to say "let's find an alternative to the oceans that lead to USA, and instead work this eur-asian land mass that already connects 80% of the worlds population.  Let's just stay away from the USA."

Nice work, progressives!


We need a Hong Kong in USA where american can be free, and no one has to be killed so we can have our freedoms.

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi John,
Thanks for the great post.
I know you wrote this over a year ago but it still rings true today. I travelled to Australia less than a month ago (10/2016) and I was surprised by the efficiency of their customs procedures. Even though I was pulled aside to verify my ID because my passport has "Jr." but my boarding pass did not it was still remarkably fast. Also, while I was waiting for my luggage I was approached by a customs officer with a handheld printer who cleared me on the spot (before I even had my suitcase!) after asking me if I had the usual illegal items to which I honestly replied no of course. On my way out I just handed the pre-cleared customs form that I received from the first agent and I was sent along with a warm "Cheers". It was a welcomed surprise to exit the airport so fast after a 14 hour flight over the ocean especially knowing how strict they are in Australia with importing illegal things as Mr. Johnny Depp the actor found out not too long ago.