Thursday, April 19, 2001

Re: [spiers] Patents

In a message dated 4/18/01 8:21:45 PM, d.backus@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< I just spoke with a potential designer for my product. Explained a
little about the design requirements. He sugguested I send a rough
draft of the design I have in mind and some physical dimensions.

***good***

We
have not spoken yet on any contract agreement.

***Yes, nothing to discuss... the heart of any contract will be a royalty
agreement.***

This is my first time, is it normal to give most of the info upfront
before agreeing on the contract(example contract) in the course book? >>

*** I think the heart of your question is the fear that the designer will
steal your idea. One usually answers this fear with a "non disclosure
agreement" and your designer may not mind signing one. For my part, I would
never use one simply because I dont beleive designers are too interested in
marketing...and marketing is what matters. You own the customer list, he
owns the design. I can always come up with designs...the valuable thing is
customers.

John


0 comments: