Thursday, April 19, 2001

Re: [spiers] Patents

In a message dated 4/19/01 6:31:39 AM, corpdesignusa@netscape.net writes:

<< If it is consistent with your coursework, John, shouldn't he give the
designer a "non-disclosure" form to sign before he submits his design?


I know what you said about patents, but this is at least protect his design
during the initial development of the product.


Glen Kanemoto- gkponcho >>

Well, here I go again...starting trouble...not only do I not like NDA's
(non-disclosure agreements) I argue we let the "designer" own the design.
So my glass says, on designs of my conception... "Made in Austria
Exclusively for John Wiley Spiers, Copyright Chris Bolton, 2001" so I say
let the designer copyright or patent or otherwise own your intellectual
property rights. It is enough that we make the money off the idea, we dont
also need to own the idea. Aside from the odd conceptual premise of
"owning an idea" there is no upside beyond income from sales that I can see
in owning an idea. there is plenty of downside, that is defending against
lawsuits, that I am happy to pass on to the artist. I can't be bothered with
lawyers.

John


0 comments: