Wednesday, November 26, 2003

How to import from overseas - customs etc.

Hi John,

I took your class 4 years to so ago and have a web site where we, my partner
and I, sell custom adapters for the Canon G-series digital cameras and the
new Canon A-80 coming out this next month.

We have the custom adapters machined locally (Bellingham) out of aluminum,
anodized, and finished.....................very high quality. (note Canon
makes an all plastic adapter) I know you will say why am I making them
locally and not at the best place in the world but because the digital
camera model changes every 9 months we have to have hands on control,
as these adapters require thousands of a millimeter specifications.

Anyway, we also sell filters and accessories so that a person can do one
stop shopping............for first time digital camera users it can be a
daunting task to figure out what to add to their cameras.

We have had an excellent year and I am wanting to buy certain camera
accessories from Japan/India rather than buying them from the US reps.

For example I have contacted a Japanese wholesaler of Rubber lens hoods by
phone and they gave me a fax number and said go ahead and send a fax with
your order request. Now I have read your advice on letterheads etc. and
know I don't need a license..........but I do have a few questions.

How do I ask about shipping and customs without looking like I am unfamiliar
with the process? Can I import say up to $1500.00 without having to have a
customs broker? I did buy $300.00 for India last year and the guy just sent
it regular airmail no special customs procedures.

I was thinking I would send a cover sheet, and a letter of introduction
(what my web site sells) , my resellers certificate and my first
order....................could I include my questions about shipping,
insurance, minimums, delivery times, in my letter?

I am finding that small overseas companies have no problem selling to me
directly, I would like to convince the larger companies to also sell to me
but am unsure what the politics are.............. For example, I buy
filters from THK Photos in California and they get them from Japan......
they sell to retailers all over the US but there is one person on the web
(who lives in the US) who buys directly from Japan and under cuts the rest
of us. I know he sells less than we do.........but can't ask him how he
does it.......since we are competitors. (note I would keep my prices
competitive without undercutting other retailers as my customers like buying
everything in one place and feel they already get a fair price.)

I am going to buy the rubber hoods first as a test since the items are
cheap, they should sell for $1.50-2.00 wholesale but I do want to buy more
expensive items over the next year from other manufactures and could use any
help you can offer or any books or articles I might read to bone up.

Thank you for inspiring my independent spirit.................
Regards,
Susan/LensMate
crowboy@earthlink.net
http://www.lensmateonline.com


0 comments: