Saturday, November 29, 2003

How to import from overseas - customs etc.

Re: [spiers] How to import from overseas - customs etc.


In a message dated 11/27/03 7:49:34 AM, crowboy@earthlink.net writes:

We have the custom adapters machined locally... I know you will say why am
I making them
locally and not at the best place in the world but because the digital
camera model changes every 9 months we have to have hands on control,
as these adapters require thousands of a millimeter specifications.

***Whoa... who am I to argue with your customers? If your customers are
buying from you they must think you are the best place in teh world. My on;ly
reaction would be "can you export, since people seem to think you are the best
place?"***

I am wanting to buy certain camera
accessories from Japan/India rather than buying them from the US reps.

How do I ask about shipping and customs without looking like I am unfamiliar
with the process? Can I import say up to $1500.00 without having to have a
customs broker? I did buy $300.00 for India last year and the guy just sent
it regular airmail no special customs procedures.

***Forget about rules and regs and process... ONLY consider whether you will
get enough orders to cover the suppliers minimum production requirement in a
workable amount of time, profitably. (In this instance "minimum" may well be
the minimum he will sell you out of the stocks he buys directly from Canon's
factory, but a minimum is a minimum, and that is the point). Now IF you will
get enough orders to cover the suppliers minimum production requirement in a
workable amount of time, profitably, THEN you can choose the rules and regs and
process you will want to work under. Get quotes from the supplier, decide what
dollar volume and weights and measures we are talking about, and then look at
cost options. Once you decide what you will do, then you will be perfectly
well informed in that narrow area you choose to operate. For now, get the
primary facts. ***

I was thinking I would send a cover sheet, and a letter of introduction
(what my web site sells) , my resellers certificate and my first
order....................could I include my questions about shipping,
insurance, minimums, delivery times, in my letter?

***Since you are in essence buying an accessory, an add-on sale, to your main
line, a product you make, then you will almost necessarily be buying from
distributors. In this instance I would quote the model number, the quantity you
sell in a three month period (assuming you need 4 inventory turns per year)
and ask them make you a good price FOB their port. As frou-frou you can then
talk about who you are, but that won't be too important because you could make
that up and they couldn't check. You may want to mention you'd like to pay by
credit card (which will require they jack up the price to cover the fees, but
then it solves the problem of insecure payments).***

I am finding that small overseas companies have no problem selling to me
directly, I would like to convince the larger companies to also sell to me
but am unsure what the politics are.............. For example, I buy
filters from THK Photos in California and they get them from Japan......
they sell to retailers all over the US but there is one person on the web
(who lives in the US) who buys directly from Japan and under cuts the rest
of us. I know he sells less than we do.........but can't ask him how he
does it.......since we are competitors. (note I would keep my prices
competitive without undercutting other retailers as my customers like buying
everything in one place and feel they already get a fair price.)

***Well, you have no idea if the web seller is turning a profit and that is
the important thing. In any event, THK Photos is doing exactly what I say not
to do, and that is buy things off the shelf from overseas. I say don't do it,
because of people like the internet guy and you, who will simply go direct.
THK has spent much time and money building a distribution channel and a
customer base, only to lose it to you and the other fellow. I suspect the way
the
internet guy got his supply was he simply asked, as you are preparing to do.
If so, the difference is he likely could care less what people thought of him,
and he just went ahead. Learn from internet guy!***

I am going to buy the rubber hoods first as a test since the items are
cheap, they should sell for $1.50-2.00 wholesale but I do want to buy more
expensive items over the next year from other manufactures and could use any
help you can offer or any books or articles I might read to bone up.>>

***No. You do the two steps I laid out above, and then YOU write an article!
Lots of people will want to read it.***

John


0 comments: