Thursday, December 11, 2003

what to do with the sample

Re: [spiers] what to do with the sample

John...

I needed to send in sample of my product for duty-rate
classification in New York with the Customs. I have looked for this
item through NTDB website, and no result. I need to know the duty
impact for this product to be considered in my costs.

***Sending something for a binding ruling to Customs is costly and time
consuming. Getting an HTS number ought not be too hard, although one may be
faced with a challenge of "is it this item at 8%, or that at 10% duty". In such
instances, since we compete on design and not price, we just go with the worst
case scenario (the 10% duty) and find out the answer when we actually bring in
our first shipment.***

I will offer to pay for the samples, since I only need about 6x6
inch of cloth to submit to Customs. I dont know the price for a
sample yet. I will not be asking a big shipment since this is only
for research. Is this best to do?

***Sure but I imagine they will give you a 6x6 piece free!***

The sample will be coming from Asia. I am considering opening an
account with FedEx so that I can arrange the shipping to be
prepaid. Is this a good way to go? Is there another option?

***This is cleanest, fastest but the higher cost. Air mail costs less, but is
more hassle. In the long run, the price difference is small.***

Do I have to find out how this sample package will go through
customs? Or will FedEx take care of that? It is kind of "putting the
cart before the horse". Perplexed.

***Fedex boufght a huge customsbroker so they can handle all that themselves
now. The samples will just show up at your door.***

John


0 comments: