Friday, March 12, 2004

Shipping Costs

Re: [spiers] Shipping Costs


In a message dated 3/12/04 9:44:00 AM, sparksor@sbcglobal.net writes:

<< I have been given an

estimate of $10,800 for 20ft of container space from the

manufacturor. >>

*** Haha... Leo beat me to it... i was going to say " a great rate... for
Hazmat (Hazardous material)"

Anyway, like anything else, get three quotes, and you should certainly be
working with a customsbroker here in USA...

Also, this is hard to explain, but sometimes in biz you will find people who
are happy to lean on you starting out, too see how strong you are. A kind of
test. I don't want it to sound negative, but it is the idea, sort of, that
"if I don't test them somebody else will..." and if you are dumb enough to pay
$10,000 for freight, well, better the supplier knows this immediately than
later...

heck, car rental companies do this...yesterday I called and got a quote for
$90 a day... then $44, then $20... all in the same call with the same sales
rep. I don't get mad, i just know what the going rate is and I keep at it until
I get the going price.

Don't let this discourage you, you have us to ask, but more important, your
customsbroker would have steered you right... so it is important to work with
the people I recommended, in the sequence I recommend. Then you'll learn what
you need to know BEFORE you need to know it.

I had lots of help starting out, and as you can see, from Leo and others,
you do too!

John


0 comments: