Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Shipping Costs

RE: [spiers] Shipping Costs

John:



Hahahahaaha! The story goes on. After checking rates myself and
receiving several emails from your students (thank you all) I rapidly
came to the conclusion that the quote was grossly high. What a valuable
resource your group site is. Anyway with info in hand I contacted the
factory rep, who's English skills are less than perfect and he was quite
shocked at first then upon double checking the quote realized that
assistant had added product cost into the shipping quote also. Shipping
only is $1,800. I have learned a valuable lesson about business
language skills and verbal shipping quotes, hahaha. Everything in
writing to minimize the mistakes. I almost gave up on this great
product idea. So things are looking very good now. Another business
adventure begins.



Thanks for your response,





RoseFab



-----Original Message-----
From: wileyccc@aol.com [mailto:wileyccc@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 6:04 PM
To: spiers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [spiers] Shipping Costs




In a message dated 3/12/04 9:44:00 AM, sparksor@sbcglobal.net writes:

<< I have been given an

estimate of $10,800 for 20ft of container space from the

manufacturor. >>

*** Haha... Leo beat me to it... i was going to say " a great rate...
for
Hazmat (Hazardous material)"

Anyway, like anything else, get three quotes, and you should certainly
be
working with a customsbroker here in USA...

Also, this is hard to explain, but sometimes in biz you will find people
who
are happy to lean on you starting out, too see how strong you are. A
kind of
test. I don't want it to sound negative, but it is the idea, sort of,
that
"if I don't test them somebody else will..." and if you are dumb enough
to pay
$10,000 for freight, well, better the supplier knows this immediately
than
later...

heck, car rental companies do this...yesterday I called and got a quote
for
$90 a day... then $44, then $20... all in the same call with the same
sales
rep. I don't get mad, i just know what the going rate is and I keep at
it until
I get the going price.

Don't let this discourage you, you have us to ask, but more important,
your
customsbroker would have steered you right... so it is important to
work with
the people I recommended, in the sequence I recommend. Then you'll
learn what
you need to know BEFORE you need to know it.

I had lots of help starting oout, and as you can see, from Leo and
others,
you do too!

John


0 comments: