Tuesday, October 19, 2004

choosing the sales reps

Re: [spiers] choosing the sales reps


In a message dated 10/17/04 4:29:23 PM, choigrogan@msn.com writes:

I provided samples and had a meeting with the first sales rep company.
Then they became very quiet and did not return my follow-up calls. I started to
think they did not intend to represent my gift bags, and have started talking
to the second rep. Then all of a sudden, the first company called me back and
explained that they have been on the road and have started selling our gift
bags. They said they have received a few orders, but I have not gotten them
yet.

I was surprised since they have not given me any confirmation nor any
contract to sign for this partnership. During the meantime, I feel that I need
to
slow down going into the partnership with the second sales rep so I can better
weigh my options. The first rep is asking for 15% commission while the second
rep is asking for 18%. The first rep is not very reponsive so far, but the
second rep seems to be better in this area. On the other hand, I know the
second rep knows that I am green to this industry and is trying to push her
limit
on me. Who should I consider as the sales rep? How could I make the first rep
more responsive? What do I have to be careful about here?....

Of course, I like to start with my ideal retailers and work back to the best
rep, if no other reason than to avoid the situation you find yourself now.

I am not surprised the reps went ahead without a contract, they like orders,
not contracts. Since they are working on it at 15%, then I'd continue with
them until you get a better idea. The fact that they are quiet is not
surprisiing, you are probably their least important line, and they only contact
you if
necessary. Think of it this way, they are not wasting your time with chitchat.

I'd get what orders they have, fill them, and then ask your custoeomrs for
reorders as soon as possible, and pick another territory into which to sell.
Then ask your old customers for names of their peers in the new territory (other
retailers) and call those retailers with the news you are selling your
products to the retailers peers in the old territory. Ask the retilers in teh
new
territory for the name of the very best rep in the new territory, and call that
rep so you can exapand sales....

I hope that makes sense...

John


0 comments: