Thursday, February 23, 2006

Re: Product Info question

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Cowley
To: WileyCCC@aol.com
Sent: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:59:20 -0800
Subject: Product Info question

Hi John,

First let me tell you how much I've enjoyed the class and your book
and how much I've learned. Thanks.

***You are very kind...***

My question. How do you find the best place in the world to have your
product made if your product doesn't exist? I'm thinking if a bicycle
accessory that I believe would solve a problem. But nothing like it
exists. Do I start with bicycle manufacturers or plactic manufacturers
or rubber manufacturers? Help me out please.

***Exactly, if not use, then material... an outfit that makes extruded
plastic items is the place if there are no bicycle load levellers ever
before (I made that up as an example..) and the HTS is also broken down
by material just foe these instances... the worldd center for bike
parts may, though, be desirous of sourcing as an agent that which they
have never carried before, in order that they may stay on the cutting
edge... keep in mind, we are not after cheap labor overseas, we are
after talented management... to have someone in Hong Kong source
plastic raw material from chongqing to be fed into extruded plastic
machines in Shenzhen, using molds cut in taiwan is where you leverage
the "cheap management" overseas to serve usa consumers...***

Also I've noticed that you import glass items. Is it safe to say that
once you establish a relationship with your customers(retailers) that
having something new is important but having something new that solves
a problem becomes less important. I guess I don't see how a different
kind of glass design solves a problem each and every time.

***So you find designer glass frivolous? I am hurt. Just like martha
Stewart, I make the dining experience just a little better. People
want to be delighted. A common error people make when entertaining is
they try to impress, which costs too much and often fails, when it is
necessary and sufficient to merely delight, which rarely fails and
costs only a little bit more. This problem must be solved each and
every time. What vexes me is martha stewart is better at it than I am,
so she makes more money than me. I hate it when things are fair... I
much prefer it when I not only have an unfair advantage, but when I am
guaranteed first place.

John


0 comments: