Thursday, March 9, 2006

How Come People Don’t Start?

How Come People Don’t Start?

References:
In-Reply-To:
X-Mailer: Web Mail - http://www.cybercon.com
X-IPAddress: 24.16.46.42
X-Sender: john@johnspiers.com
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1


Folks,

Out of some 800 people on this list, about 8 replied to my request for info on
“how come
people do not start businesses. This of course causes me to wonder just how big
this list is.
About a year ago I was able to cleaqr out any dead emails, etc, thru yahoo
technology, and we
went from about 1100 to 700, all clean live active emails. We’ve added about
100 since then.
I keep no demographics, so I truly have no idea who I am talking to, except
everyone either
read the book or took the class or both.

On to the reasons:

#1. Busy doing what one is doing... so no time to take on more.

#2. Haven’t figured out the thing yet... waiting to come across right idea.

Then there were assorted reasons..

***

You convinced me int’l trade was not for me. (well I like that!)

Problems with the process, timing, etc...

Cannot take any risks....

paralysis by analysis...

I love the deal, not the product...I seek out bargains... (so my arguments are
irrlevent to his
program.)

Lack of confidence...

***

So I am not sure I have learned much with the question, since I am not surprised
that the
common thread is people are busy doing what they are doing. 25 years ago I took
a course
on building a log cabin, and left convinced I’d build one eventually, I left
knowing I could.
Still haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Although that log cabin class was an inspiration for my classes, in the way that
I try to
structure the class so everyone leaves knowing they could start a business.


Not every business idea is viable, hence my emphasis on testing the idea with
custoemrs first.
On the other hand, when I hear of insurmountable problems on what seems a good
idea, I
wonder if it is just a lack of passion for that particular idea, and if the
person ought to be
pursuing something more fascinating to the person.

As to not upsetting the apple cart, avoiding risks, well, it seems to me just as
it is easier to
find a job when you are employed....I think it is easier to start a biz when you
are employed.
Maybe the problem is people think in terms of having to replace one with the
other, when
starting out one’s ambitions, or circumstances may only allow say a couple fo
$5000
importations in a year, very slowly building something good.

There may be another use to all of this, and that is somethiing called cultural
capital. I see
USA fast losing its knowledge of how to start businesses. After 70 years under
the Soviets, it
is gone in Russia, as an extreme case. Just as information gained in say a
college geometry
course may come in handy only once or twice in most graduates’ lives, say saving
some
homeowner time and grief as he figures out spaces in a home remodel... so having
small biz
fundamentals preserved may come in handy at a time and place, or even if only to
caution
some young person about to embark on a business. Cultural capital.

John


0 comments: