Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Not a unique product

Re: [spiers] Not a unique product

I've been to 3 boutiques, who've all said
> "We'd love to see them." To me, this is enough positive
> input to find a student textile designer to make some
> samples.

***the more the better, but the psyche has an amazing sense of timing...***

> But this product is not innovative. It is just a
> wallet, like you get at Macy's for $25, except for the
> quality of the materials and packaging. Is this a
> market I should stay away from unless I can come up with
> an innovative wallet? In other words, is fashion as
> innovation enough?

***Yes, and the customers are the arbitrator of what constitutes "enough".***
>
> I would use this as a test to move into handbags because
> that is where the real money is.

***And they say your second million is easier than the first... so why no go
straight to where you
want to be?***

>
> And John, I haven't started a business because of lack
> of confidence. I remember having a computer consulting
> business and for some reason I never liked charging
> people money, I'd feel guilty. I worry that I would do
> something similar again. I worry also that I don't have
> enough experience to pull this off. The idea of being
> fully responsible for my own success fills me with
> terror and dread--but I'm going to do it anyway.
>
Lance, the two times you actually have contact with the customer... selling,
that is getting orders,
and when your boxes arrive to the customer (shipping)... both of these are
farmed out. Let the
pros handle the high-stress stuff, since the money is in the mark-up and we'd
all prefer to give
our products away and everyone else give theirs away too. That was tried,
didn't work, so money
was invented to keep the freeloaders honest.

John


0 comments: