Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Not a unique product

Re: [spiers] Not a unique product

You should also consider any importation issues relating to exotic/endangered
species and related tariffs in scoping out this product.

Lance wrote: I was about to send off an email to a
textile designer,
but I want a reality check first.

I want to import high-end wallets made with exotic
leather. I've been to 3 boutiques, who've all said
"We'd love to see them." To me, this is enough positive
input to find a student textile designer to make some
samples.

But this product is not innovative. It is just a
wallet, like you get at Macy's for $25, except for the
quality of the materials and packaging. Is this a
market I should stay away from unless I can come up with
an innovative wallet? In other words, is fashion as
innovation enough?

I would use this as a test to move into handbags because
that is where the real money is.

And John, I haven't started a business because of lack
of confidence. I remember having a computer consulting
business and for some reason I never liked charging
people money, I'd feel guilty. I worry that I would do
something similar again. I worry also that I don't have
enough experience to pull this off. The idea of being
fully responsible for my own success fills me with
terror and dread--but I'm going to do it anyway.

Thank you for your input. This list is a great
resource.

Lance






Compete on Design!

www.johnspiers.com


0 comments: