Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Re: [spiers] How Come People Don�t Start?

Re: [spiers] How Come People Don�t Start?

Hi John,

Maybe you can setup a survey with one of those free online survey sites
so we can answer some multiple choice and also free text questions.
You'll probably get a lot more responses if there are multiple choice
questions and you can also find out some of our demographics.

I admit I was one of the people that didn't reply. Part of the reason
was my initial feeling that I'd spend a lot of time in front of the
computer writing a looooong email response. So, I just put it off.
But, I think a survey would kickstart the feedback (at least for people
like me), and at least you'll get more responses (even if it's just in
the multiple choice sections). Then you can share the results with the
group. I think it would be nice if we all got a feel of how many of us
are in the same boat (or maybe more important, at a different stage)
like: living in certain general region, occupation, still analyzing or
really doing an import business, etc.


There are at least a few free survey sites, although the only one that
comes to mind is the surveymonkey.com site. They also have a page
listing their competitors, which might include some of the free ones.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/Pricing.asp

Or maybe someone else can remind me one of the other ones.

Thanks,
Victor

--- John Spiers wrote:

> How Come People Don�t Start?
>
> References:
> In-Reply-To:
> X-Mailer: Web Mail - http://www.cybercon.com
> X-IPAddress: 24.16.46.42
> X-Sender: john@johnspiers.com
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
>
>
> Folks,
>
> Out of some 800 people on this list, about 8 replied to my request
> for info on �how come
> people do not start businesses. This of course causes me to wonder
> just how big this list is.
> About a year ago I was able to cleaqr out any dead emails, etc, thru
> yahoo technology, and we
> went from about 1100 to 700, all clean live active emails. We�ve
> added about 100 since then.
> I keep no demographics, so I truly have no idea who I am talking to,
> except everyone either
> read the book or took the class or both.
>
> On to the reasons:
>
> #1. Busy doing what one is doing... so no time to take on more.
>
> #2. Haven�t figured out the thing yet... waiting to come across
> right idea.
>
> Then there were assorted reasons..
>
> ***
>
> You convinced me int�l trade was not for me. (well I like that!)
>
> Problems with the process, timing, etc...
>
> Cannot take any risks....
>
> paralysis by analysis...
>
> I love the deal, not the product...I seek out bargains... (so my
> arguments are irrlevent to his
> program.)
>
> Lack of confidence...
>
> ***
>
> So I am not sure I have learned much with the question, since I am
> not surprised that the
> common thread is people are busy doing what they are doing. 25 years
> ago I took a course
> on building a log cabin, and left convinced I�d build one
eventually,
> I left knowing I could.
> Still haven�t gotten around to it yet.
>
> Although that log cabin class was an inspiration for my classes, in
> the way that I try to
> structure the class so everyone leaves knowing they could start a
> business.
>
>
> Not every business idea is viable, hence my emphasis on testing the
> idea with custoemrs first.
> On the other hand, when I hear of insurmountable problems on what
> seems a good idea, I
> wonder if it is just a lack of passion for that particular idea, and
> if the person ought to be
> pursuing something more fascinating to the person.
>
> As to not upsetting the apple cart, avoiding risks, well, it seems to
> me just as it is easier to
> find a job when you are employed....I think it is easier to start a
> biz when you are employed.
> Maybe the problem is people think in terms of having to replace one
> with the other, when
> starting out one�s ambitions, or circumstances may only allow say a
> couple fo $5000
> importations in a year, very slowly building something good.
>
> There may be another use to all of this, and that is somethiing
> called cultural capital. I see
> USA fast losing its knowledge of how to start businesses. After 70
> years under the Soviets, it
> is gone in Russia, as an extreme case. Just as information gained in
> say a college geometry
> course may come in handy only once or twice in most graduates�
lives,
> say saving some
> homeowner time and grief as he figures out spaces in a home
> remodel... so having small biz
> fundamentals preserved may come in handy at a time and place, or even
> if only to caution
> some young person about to embark on a business. Cultural capital.
>
> John
>
>
>
>
>
> Compete on Design!
>
> www.johnspiers.com


0 comments: