Tuesday, March 7, 2006

reps vs. distribuutors

Re: [spiers] reps vs. distribuutors


>
> In my industry (skateboard accessories) I've found that the store
> owners I've talked with buy their products through distributors, not
> through sales reps. -

***A key early step is to learn the exact distribution structure in your
industry...congrats, it
sounds like you've got it down...***

I am contacting some of the larger
> distributors in the country, but do you have recommendations for
> spreading the word to stores across the country about my product? I'm
> thinking about advertising in industry magazines and on industry web
> sites.

***Before the dot.com boom people commonly felt "if I can only get it out there
it will sell
well" and the dot.com boom brought us "if I can only get the word out" which has
a kind of
admirable efficiency. Just talk about it and good things will happen. I don't
think so.

First, whether big or small, you need the distributors your customers want. Go
to your
favorite boarding store, drop your items in front of them, DO NOT TRY TO MAKE A
SALE, just
ask what the people in the stores thing. And if they were to order, what would
the quatities
and terms be, etc. And make clear you are not interested in making a sale,
since you are too
busy working on your new items, naturement! But if they were to order, or
wanted to order,
then what distributor would they expect to see items like yours being handled.

Then take all this to that very distributor.

Forget about EVER advertising yourself. a complete waste of time. Read Ogilvy
on
Advertising to get a consumers guide to advertising, from the grand master
himself.

http://tinyurl.com/kkda9

In the meantime, offer "ad allowances" of say 10% which cause the stores to put
your items in
their ads, which increas sales and cause their peers and competitors to seek out
your items
as well. and in this way nothing out of pocket for you... this ad allowance is
in my book, if
you need more info, let me know.

Keep us posted on how it goes...

John


0 comments: