Thursday, May 25, 2006

Basque...el camino por santiago

Re: [spiers] Self employment is a lifestyle

Pardon me for butting in and not addressing your question itself but
rather commenting on the reference you used.

I think that Rich Dad/Poor Dad made his fortune off of self-help books.
I am amazed at how few of the financial/real estate gurus release any
of their personal financial info to prove that they have done what they
are teaching and continue to do it in today's market. Teaching how to
do it is big business and it always falls back on the consumer that
they are a loser if it doesn't work out...(or buy another book or tape
or personal consulting so it will work). The Amway expose' previously
mentioned in this forum is an example (that was fascinating to read
about). I think that the grid he talks about is very good to
conceptualize the different approaches to income, but the rest of the
books (and I've read them all) seems to me to be a good way to make the
authors rich even if there may be valid general ideas without a lot of
concrete specifics.

Again, sorry to jump in uninvited but I thought this would be an
excellent topic with regard to our approaches to running an import
business. From what I understand, our products always have a life cycle
and so we will always be self employed during our times of developing
new products and markets with periods of being a business owner and
entrepreneur when things are moving well, and that is part of the fun.
Maybe someday with enough money put away then we may chose to get off
the grid entirely but during our import days we move among 3 of the 4
sectors.

Richard


On May 24, 2006, at 5:21 PM, olivia fisher wrote:

> John,
>
> Can you expound on this point you stated many times: Self Employment
> is a lifestyle.
>
> Once I maket my product, am I self employed? Rich-Dad, Poor-Dad
> book I am reading (for another point of view) states that one doesnt
> want to be self employed forever, but rather, be a business owner and
> ultimately an entrepreneur.
>
> Olivia


0 comments: