Sunday, May 7, 2006

Reply - How I got into China

Re: [spiers] Reply - How I got into China

Hi John,

Here's my other question, which was partly for fun and partly serious.
I fanticize about the idea of mom & pop businesses (or just any
individual) having the ability to make a small transaction with a
company or person on any side of the world (with ease). To borrow from
Tom Friedman's terminology, basically to make the world come flat for
every regular shmoe. So, in the example with your book printing, I
wonder about the possibility of being able to do small quantity
purchasing with China/HK and still benefit from a much cheaper price
than $10. (and i know shipping cost would probably be another
important component in the mix.)

Thanks!
Victor



1) Can you expand a little, if you would, on how you got $3USD landed
USA from HK or China? Is it a high minimum order? My nieces and their
friends are into writing books, manga, etc. (seems to be a fad for kids
these days I guess). I was making books out of their works so they can
share them with their friends, and also to give them the experience
creating something like this so they'll see their creation actualized.
I'm hoping they'll get used to and believe they can create anything and
actualize it. I checked out this website (local US site) for mom & pop
people who want to print their book, but the price is as you said:
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/sell/products/books




--- John Spiers wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Someone emailed me and asked why I did not just get a Visa from the
> Chinese consulate in
> USA. I thought I sent the through to the list so i could reply, but
> apprently it did not make it.
>
> Anyway, to wit, since I was leaviing in less then a week from the
> date I got my ticket, I did not
> want to send my passport through the couriers to San Francisco, with
> all that time and risk.
> Face to face in Hong Kong the better bet, I thought. It worked out.
>
> I think there was another question in the email in question, but I
> don't recall it, but feel free
> to ask.
>
> John


0 comments: