Monday, May 8, 2006

Reply - How I got into China

Re: [spiers] Reply - How I got into China


On Sun, 7 May 2006 18:09:42 -0700 (PDT), sourcesf wrote :

> I fanticize about the idea of mom & pop businesses (or just any
> individual) having the ability to make a small transaction with a
> company or person on any side of the world (with ease).

***Well, this has always been the case, and so much more now with improvements
in
communications and transportation. Anyone can go on the net, google whatever,
find it
wherever, translate the page if it is in a foreign language, buy it with a
credit card and have it
fedexed home. I put up courses on the internet and the last time I checked I've
sold to 21
countries.***

So, in the example with your book printing, I
> wonder about the possibility of being able to do small quantity
> purchasing with China/HK and still benefit from a much cheaper price
> than $10. (and i know shipping cost would probably be another
> important component in the mix.)
>
***Yes, tbis is precisely what I am working on with this particular printer, and
when I've
worked out all the details, I am going to write it up as a case study and post
it to the list.***
>
> 1) Can you expand a little, if you would, on how you got $3USD landed
> USA from HK or China? Is it a high minimum order?

***The minimum is 1000 of MY book for that price, 1/5th the price I am paying
now. Or, you
could say, I coulod pay $3000 for 200 books printed here in usa, or $3000 for
1000 books
printed in Hong Kong. The problem here is with "print on demand", every book
costs the
same, the first one and the 1000th one. Obviously, somewhere between 100 and 200
books,
one ought to switch over to Hong Kong. I'll show them how for a fee, and if
they do I'll earn
a fee, and I'll give people enough info so they can go around me if they want,
but they won't.
My fees will be cheaper than figuring it out themselves.

Right now, Hong Kong cannot beat Print on Demand prices that is offered in USA,
using the
IBM Infoprint 4100 to produce a book. The IBM Infoprint 4100 costs about
$500,000. We
studied investing in this machine, but the Hong Kong side said, "why not just
duplicate the
machine functions without the machine?" Quote I, "Can you mange that?" Of
course,
international trade is about management , not labor.***

My nieces and their
> friends are into writing books, manga, etc. (seems to be a fad for kids
> these days I guess). I was making books out of their works so they can
> share them with their friends, and also to give them the experience
> creating something like this so they'll see their creation actualized.
> I'm hoping they'll get used to and believe they can create anything and
> actualize it. I checked out this website (local US site) for mom & pop
> people who want to print their book, but the price is as you said:
> http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/sell/products/books
>

***Excellent website! Clear, focussed, well executed, no nonsense. I bet they
do well. I will
crush them.***

John


0 comments: