Thursday, May 25, 2006

rich dad poor dad thread

Re: [spiers] rich dad poor dad thread

Hmmmm. Well, I wasn't really thinking of you because you aren't making
the claims of those I was thinking of. And you don't have 17 other
books we need to buy to really get it or insist we need personal
coaching at $6000/pop to stop being a loser. [LOL]

I was thinking more along the lines of them showing a certified balance
sheet of all of their deals in the area they are "expert" in rather
than a tax return (without the tax write offs included, only costs,
fees, time, income from each deal, etc.). This would be a simple matter
to back up their claims. What would be interesting, as in the case of
Amway and the "Masters of Deception" book is if they make very little
profit from their deals.....it would mean they are making most of their
income from their seminars and books and tapes. Nothing wrong with
that, of course, as long as they are up front about it. Besides, you
already told us how much you make....$250/hour. Not bad at all! Also,
you are still doing it for a living, unlike some of these people.
Anyway, I don't get the guru "get rich now" feel from you at all or I
wouldn't be participating. Your book and online classes wouldn't be so
specific but would. You would "sell the sizzle rather than the steak"
if you were more like these guys and crossed over to the dark side
[LOL].

Richard

On May 25, 2006, at 7:55 PM, John Spiers wrote:

> Ric,
>
> You'll know I've sold out when you see me at 3am on cable TV being
> interviewed by Kevin
> Trudeau selling my book "Get Rich in Import Export on eBay, Now! for
> Free!" That will occur
> about 10 minutes after he asks me.
>
> In the meantime, I am keeping costs associated with particular efforts
> so that I can show what
> I invested in a particular project, as part of a series of "case
> studies" I hope to post here for
> people to review.
>
> there may be a reason for not showing audited financials, though:
> nobody fully understands
> the tax code. One CPA will handle a given set of books one way, and
> yield certain results,
> another CPA another way.
>
> I can imagine if I were to release my audited statements, I would be
> approached by other
> CPA's who would claim they could get me better results (more money
> back). I'll ask my CPA
> (not that I'll do it) how he would view my publishing my tax
> statements.
>
> John
> On Thu, 25 May 2006 12:36:10 -0500, Richard Ingels
> wrote :
>
>> Pardon me for butting in and not addressing your question itself but
>> rather commenting on the reference you used.
>>
>> I think that Rich Dad/Poor Dad made his fortune off of self-help
>> books.
>> I am amazed at how few of the financial/real estate gurus release any
>> of their personal financial info to prove that they have done what
>> they
>> are teaching and continue to do it in today's market. Teaching how to
>> do it is big business and it always falls back on the consumer that
>> they are a loser if it doesn't work out...(or buy another book or tape
>> or personal consulting so it will work). The Amway expose' previously
>> mentioned in this forum is an example (that was fascinating to read
>> about). I think that the grid he talks about is very good to
>> conceptualize the different approaches to income, but the rest of the
>> books (and I've read them all) seems to me to be a good way to make
>> the
>> authors rich even if there may be valid general ideas without a lot of
>> concrete specifics.
>>
>> Again, sorry to jump in uninvited but I thought this would be an
>> excellent topic with regard to our approaches to running an import
>> business. From what I understand, our products always have a life
>> cycle
>> and so we will always be self employed during our times of developing
>> new products and markets with periods of being a business owner and
>> entrepreneur when things are moving well, and that is part of the fun.
>> Maybe someday with enough money put away then we may chose to get off
>> the grid entirely but during our import days we move among 3 of the 4
>> sectors.
>>
>> Richard
>>
>>
>> On May 24, 2006, at 5:21 PM, olivia fisher wrote:
>>
>>> John,
>>>
>>> Can you expound on this point you stated many times: Self
>>> Employment
>>> is a lifestyle.
>>>
>>> Once I maket my product, am I self employed? Rich-Dad, Poor-Dad
>>> book I am reading (for another point of view) states that one doesnt
>>> want to be self employed forever, but rather, be a business owner and
>>> ultimately an entrepreneur.
>>>
>>> Olivia


0 comments: