Monday, September 18, 2006

JennAir

Folks,

I bought a JennAir outdoor grill, after getting permission from the Mrs., of
course, from
Lowe's Home Improvement. I decided on JennAir because it came out in the '50s',
and this
part of the house we are maintaining the 1960's look and feel. (It is a remodel
work in
progress.) JennAir is the top of the line, although the Kirkland brand (Costco)
gets top
rankings). As far as I could tell, JennAir is made at the same place with the
same materials.

The Kirkland version is nominally lower price, but I asked the Lowes Manager for
10% off, and
he gave it to me. They know and I know they have to clear the shelves for the
Christmas
merchandise now, so it was an easy deal. (The check-out gal was did not believe
me, so i
had to get in another line, where the clerk verified the deal.)

Recall earlier this year, the Chinese wanted to buy Maytag, and what an outrage
that was?
Well, Whirlpool got it, which means they got JennAir and Hoover as well.

So I assembled the grill and the instructions carry this notice: JennAir is a
Trademark of the
Maytag Corporation and is used under license to Lowe's Companies, Incorporated.

This formulation means Lowes came up with the particular design, and you'll only
find it at
Lowes, and they slap a JennAir label on the Lowes Design. This is how these
things work.

And here is the fun part: Made in China. So while we argue and battle over
putting labels on
products, the Chinese are not allowed to own this, but they end up making the
products
anyway.

John


0 comments: