Thursday, October 26, 2006

Update on Book Markets

Re: [spiers] Update on Book Markets


On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:32:02 -0700, Paul Snyder
wrote :

> I was interested in the latest on this thread, have you met with the
> buyer? Also, was it really the artist or was it you that had the
> samples made in China?

***Well, Betty David is the artist, and is another "does exactly what I say
works but has never
heard of john Spiers" case. My daughter and I went into her retail store (which
she is shutting
down, wholesaling and retailing does not quite work, as I teach) and were
stunned by the
quality. Her north coast indian designs on the jackets caused me to mention I
had the
chinese do such on carpets long ago. She said she'd been trying, with no luck, I
said I'd have
no problem getting her designs on chinese carpets. this meeting was circa
11/05, we were
both too busy to work on it, so we agreed to meet in jan 06. Late jan 06 we
met, decided
neither of us needed contracts or even agreements... we'd figure out if there
were customers
and then worry about who gets what. She had a series of trade shows to do so I
got her
designs in late feb and sent them to china, and in april I picked up the samples
in China when
i was there. May jun she shopped the samples at her trade shows, and then began
developing designs based on feedback...

I've been swamped, so when I recalled the jiffy lube was next to the high end
furniture store, I
grabbed the samples and did the "would you really buy something like this"
thing, which
generated the buyers name.

Betty wrenched her back and has been out for 2 weeks, and I've been travelling,
so neither of
us has followed up yet. We'll pitch a show at the retailer, if an when we can
find time to get
there..and I'll certainly keep y'all updated.

>
> I am curious about what led up to this event. As I recall, you have
> been working it for some time. If you could please estimate what
> date it was that you first started thinking about this product idea.

***prox oct 1979.***

> Also, how many hours or days in total, do you estimate that you have
> been working it? The latter would include the creative process of
> visualizing the solution, the market research to determine it does
> not exist, the search for an artist, and the mechanics of working
> with the artist to produce the samples. I know it is difficult to
> estimate, so let me give you a guideline - was it <5, <50, or <500
> hours. Thanks!
>
***Well aside from the comment above, this iteration has required maybe 12 hours
in the last
year, including the time I spent speaking with the communists in china, and i've
probably got
a total of no more than $1500 in this. if we quit today, I've got some pretty
cool indian art on
carpets. i am probably ahead. I have no idea how much time Betty has spent on
this.

In a perfect example of market distortion by the fed causing malinvestment, most
of my time
is remodelling a house which I enjoy immensely, but would not happen if the ROI
was not
huge... it is huge since the market is manipulated by politico shenanigans. I'd
be working if
the money was not so easy otherwise...

Also, the book thing is a window of oppty I am exploiting, learning a lot and
taking advantage
of what amazon and google is doing, and I see Apple is linking up with google
and mimicing
amazon in paying associate fees for people who send buyers to Apple's itunes...

I've long wanted to write a case study of how the music industry competes on
design, and
how everyone copies everyone else, with examples, and now I can also embed the
itunes
samples into the story and make money every time someone reads the story and
buys Geo
Harrisons "My Sweet Lord" after reading that it is just a remake of the
Chiffon's "He's so
Fine" ... (the Chiffon's opened for the Beatles when when they first came to
USA, and of
course Geo Harrison had to have heard their hit, He's So Fine." 7 years later,
he has a hit with
"My Sweet Lord, which is proven to be really, "He's so fine" After winning a
1/2 million in
royalties in 1976, the Chiffons record and release "My Sweet Lord".) That saga
was 16 years
long, and finished 30 years ago. Tempus Fugit.

I don't know if I've answered your question, but I must reflect: Being ADD/ADHD
is the most
wonderful thing... the ability to think and do 3 things at once, and have the
energy to sustain
it... I realize that it causes trouble in the classrooms, but happily back in
my day they only
beat us, they didn't drug us. Instead of a drug that inhibits ADD/ADHD, I think
they should
make a drug that causes it, and give it to teachers.

John




> > Also this week, after topping off the oil in my car at Jiffy-Lube,
> > I walked into a high end home
> > furnishings store and blew passed the receptionist alarmed at the
> > carpets under my arm. I
> > wandered around until a nicely dressed fellow said "may I help
> > you?" I dropped the carpets at
> > his feet and said "an artist has designed these carpets, and had
> > these samples made in China.
> > She says stores like your will sell these carpets. Is she dreaming?"
> >
> > He replied, "I am not the buyer, just a designer. Here is the
> > buyers name and number. But if
> > he will not buy them, I have clients always looking for new and
> > interesting. Can I take
> > pictures for them to see." "Sure, and just contact the designer
> > direct if you want any made..."
> >
> > As soon as I can find time, I'll meet the buyer, and let you know
> > what he says.
> >
> > Folks, this stuff is easy... must get going!
> >
> > John
> >
> >
> > Compete on Design!
> >
> > www.johnspiers.com


0 comments: