Saturday, March 22, 2008

Dr. Gary North

Gary North has been a reliable guide to economics, and he is now arguing to begin unwinding any gold position, and how to do it.



He has a subscription based advisory service, and although his analysis is excellent, he wonders why people don’t take his advice?

I think I know how he feels, wondering as I do why more people do not start their own businesses.


He is surpised maybe 4% take his advice.

He finds particularly tedious people who won’t pay him for advice...

I contacted him once and got one of his form emails back. He needs a mechanism for finding out for what they will pay him. For example, he has written phenomenal amounts on economics and the bible, and I’d like a guide, him, through his work. I’d pay for a class he taught online.

There is a way to reach him of course, a letter... in these days of emails a piece of paper in an envelope arriving in the mailbox is all the more powerful.

A quote from one of his articles above:

“As the markets keep confirming my forecasts, and as my website's subscribers make more money, a few of them cancel. It's the oddest thing. I am reminded of the old statement, "nothing fails like success."

Now he seems to be saying people who making money cancel, which I suspect is true. But he goes on to lament that people who see he is right cancel, since they missed the last oppty.

Of course people who subscribe, learn what you know, make money, will move on once they “get it.” And there are also people who tire of seeing the advice is good, but they just cannot take the step. For me, why people do not take the step, or why some do, is an unaddressed topic, or where addressed, wrong. I may someday contribute to knowledge by answering this question better. So working on this is something I do on the side, something else I’ll never get paid for.

But we cannot complain. Dr. North has been an inspiration to me, a confidence builder. He has written massive amounts of high quality output, and he both sells it and it away for free. And anyone who wishes could copy his stuff and put their own name on it and try to sell it as theirs, which at most would only amuse Dr. North. Dr. North is exhibit A in the case for free markets in intellectual property rights.

Dr. North is musing in his essays, not complaining. But it reminds of the scene when Michael Corleone is complaining to Hyman Roth in Godfather II, and Roth fires back, “it is the business we chose.”

The last line in the first article cited above Dr. North advises “make yourself more valuable to your employer.” I’d just note the best employers are your customers.


0 comments: