Saturday, October 17, 2009

Christian Has A Question

On Oct 17, 2009, at 9:52 AM, Christian wrote:
John,

I have a couple of questions for you and hoping you can add some clarification. I have a couple of ideas I'm thinking of pursuing. Don't know how much money could be made, but believe they would solve a couple of problems I haven't see a solution for.

***The money will follow...don’t worry about that...***

One, is a typical lead pencil that I always see my students fondling and wasting time over refilling them with leads. My idea was to create a led pencil with cartridges rather than individual leads. This way the student just inserts the cartridge quick and easy without the hassle of individual leads. May be out, but haven't see anything like it.

***I think you mean mechanical pencils, and I have the same problem...***

My other idea is the typical pushpin. For one reason or another everytime I deal with them I seem to get pricked at my finger tips by at least one. My idea was to modify the pin with some sort of material on the tip that easily collapses upon insertion or that retracts upon insertion.

*** OK...***

I know you probably don't have much of an idea as to the viability of the ideas I have and that I will have to do some various visits to retailers that offer these items.

***My opinion does not matter, the only opinion that matters in business is that of the customer... check with them, as outliend in the class...***

My question is on the store end. I cannot seem to find a lot of specialty stores if any at all that are small enough to where I would eventually be talking to the order clerk. They all seem to be big stores like Staples and Office Depot or educational stores that are corporately owned. After my investigative work is done and saying one of my ideas is needed and wanted, how do I go about getting in touch with the order person? Is this an amazon idea?

***In seattle there is De Medici Ming, where they sell $12 sheets of paper for writing love poems. There are plenty of upscale stationery stores,and they would be your target. You’ll never have the economies of scale to sell to home deport or staples, but you can sell to upscale stationery stores... I think they are called “Fiine Stationery “stores... google Crane papers and see a list of their customers... retailers where you can buy their products...

your pencil may have to be sterling silver to sell... but do what you gotta do...***

Sorry for the long post, but I would appreciate any help or advice you could give me. Love the class by the way!!!

VEry good... thanks... can I share this Q&A with the classmates and blog?

John


0 comments: