Wednesday, June 29, 2011

C Inquires As To Sales Reps

C:...a question about sales rep timing if I can.  I have some working samples of my designs laser-cut from plexiglass.  They illustrate my first concept pretty well.  Is it too early to approach one of the sales reps that my stores have given me?  I ask because some stores (and you mention something like this in your first book) say that I'll need to offer 5-6 different items for them to display together on a shelf.  I have enough ideas and permutations of this first design to do that - but don't want to go too far down the path of developing them before talking to a sales rep, just in case there's info I should have beforehand to do it properly.  On the other hand, I want to make a good first impression and obviously I don't have all my ducks in a row yet with the factories.  What do you think?


***It is the great balancing act... enough retail feedback to warrant going forward with sampling, not so much feedback that you fatigue their patience...

This is partially why the approach to the retailer with you as a customer is advantageous: it is true enough, and retailers have far more patience for inquiring customers than inquiring vendors.

The point where a half dozen say “it is a good idea and does not exist” is the ideal.  At some point in the process you decide you have had enough to go to sampling...

take the samples back to the retailers... see if they are willing to place an order... if so, that is the time to approach the reps, when you can name retailers ready to place orders.

Let’s say the retailer declines to place and order (better you hear this than the rep...)  at that point, you will learn how come the retailer will not... wrong shape color speed flavor material size, whatever.  

“If I fix that problem, may I return?”

“Of course...”

then it is back to the drawing board, until those retailers are ready to order...

Ultimately, it is always the retailer...***


0 comments: