Sunday, July 10, 2011

Amazon On Fashion

I was uploading my second book to Kindle on Amazon today when a noticed a link to a MyHabit-Fashion...  since I believe it is hard to sell compete-on-design items on the web, I wanted to see how Amazon.com is working it.  Very well, I think.

It has the age-old problem of what happens if you have a hit... you have the production capacity and credit capacity for 500 units per month, but Amazon lands 5000 orders in a month...  you cannot ask customer to wait ten months...  and expansion quickly for short term is so expensive it usually overwhelms any possible profit.

"But but but... it gets my name out there..."  You do not need your name out there, you need profitable orders.  The way to build a business is slowly, carefully, serving markets you can manage profitably, and build a solid, profitable franchise.

The best sales are when your products are found in a leading retailer and the customer takes the time to enjoy trying it on, taking compliments, and buying the item.  Returns from internet sales can be heavy.  It is important to keep and eye, a skeptical eye, on the internet, but don't lose your head.


0 comments: