Monday, July 11, 2011

Colloquy On Design

Now I've written much more than I anticipated. My original questions were more on design and more about the stuff you've done. I'm actually very interested in the things/ projects that you have done...

***  John Lennon is quoted as saying he did not like to listen to other people’s music because they did not do it right.  Whether that is apochryphal or not, it illustrates a good point.  You need to get where you haven’t the slightest interest in anything anyone else is doing, because what you are doing is challenging to yourself on every level.
My class and book is “how to...” not  “copy John.”  When I followed this “how to” that I learned form others, I made myself happy.  If you follow me, and not the lessons, you will end up with what I have, which will make you very unhappy.  The paradigm you are following is “get a job, and get promotions.”  I give plenty of examples of what I have done, reluctantly, because the people who appreciate those are the least likely to proceed. They still want inspiration from without, instead of tapping inspiration from within.***

Design: 
I think I am still struggling with this issue. 

***Many people do, and I am probably the only business instructor that touches this topic, in the world, in history. Plenty of people teach design, but design for other businesses, design to get a job, not self-employment.***

I've looked at the website link you provided, I've watched some of the series on Connections, I started reading the book Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and I've looked at some retail stores for some ideas. 

*** Everything except what I advise.***

When I think about the question, "Why don't they just...?"  My mind comes to a blank (granted I can come up with ideas other ways). Perhaps it is not the right question. 

***It is the right question, because it leads to the right answer.  If your mind is drawing a blank, it is likely creativity was beaten out of you early on, at least that is what I see so often.  Someone wants to experiment with racing pigeon nutrition, and they are dragooned into studying medicine or law or accounting, a complete waste of a life.***

Either way, I know it is something I'll have to contend with (though I have thought about some options to get ideas*). 

***You do experience problems.  You can pause and reflect.  You may think up a solution,  You are able to perceive if working on the problem gives you joy.  You can do it, you have just been “trained” otherwise.***

I think part of the challenge is that I'm a very hands-on person. And I need to be able to see and do it before I really understand it. 

***That is normal, not a problem. So see and do racing pigeon nutrition, or whatever.***

But it does astound me that you make it "seem" like ideas come so freely. The next 500 ideas...? While it remains quite the challenge for me... 

***It is a habit, like adding up license plate numbers or anything else you want to do with your mind...  you start looking at everything critically, and then redesigning anything and everything you encounter, in your mind.  But only act on problems that give you joy to work on...***

Thank you greatly for your response and time! Looking forward to hearing from you.

***Your direct, non-nonsense questions are a great set-up to get explicit about competing on design...  you’ve got me to express is clear and forceful... thanks!

John***


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! We need more like this so us newbies can get the idea of how to imagine new products.

You mention 'you start looking at everything critically, and then redesigning anything and everything you encunter, in your mind'. Does this imply that we are not looking for new products in the strict sense, but most of the time we are making little additions to or altering what's already on the shelf?

John Wiley Spiers said...

If it starts as a problem you experience, and then is tested by plan A or plan B, then the genesis is sound. All products and services are solutions to problems. That is what is on the shelf now. There is no solution that cannot be improved upon, that is what you are doing.

In essence, you are serving the market by peeling off customers not satisfied with what is on the shelf; this is the expansion of the division of labor in practice.