Saturday, August 13, 2011

USA Child Labor

When I was six years old I went down to Husky Stadium to sell newspapers with the older kids.  It was  blast. I would make a dollar or two, and blow it on candy. Summers we could pick blueberries and strawberries for a bit of dough, and we got our anti-oxidants on for the year, we ate so much. At ten I got a paper route, and worked seven days a week, Sundays getting up and going out at 4 in the morning.  I did that until I was 14, and then I lied about my age to get a job in a hospital kitchen at 15.  Man I was glad to get the job.  It was voluntary.

Now the newspapers and tv blow up.  Note, most of my child labor was for newspapers, who get an exemption from child labor laws, and many other rules, as long as they keep printing the party line.  These kids are with their itinerant labor parents.  They are not forced to work.  Kids like to work alongside their parents.    Imagine if they were in school... they would grow up to riot.

One problem with the kids, well the only stated problem, is the chemicals in the fields.

""A lot of the chemicals that the kids are around cause respiratory illness, neurologic impairments, contact dermatitis, really severe rashes on their bodies," Ellis said."


I agree.  Stop using the chemicals.  and let anyone who wants to work, work.  Less rioting that way.


0 comments: