Monday, February 6, 2012

Small Business CRM

One of my bugaboos about software is it is so often written to do too much, probably so software sellers can charge too much.  One reason I have been all Apple all the time since 1984 (except for two regrettable instances in which I simply gave the MSos PCs away) is that Apple tends to do relatively little and very well.  I am delighted to pay extra to have my computers do less nonsense, timewasting stuff.

For Customer Relationship Management (CRM), in which we simply have a database of customer information which we can manage and act upon, years ago I settled on my small business bookkeeping/accounting package called MYOB.  The software not only covered all business accounting, inventory control, and with a simple workaround offered royalty and commission reports, but it kept track of customer activity and allowed me to track customer contact by phone and follow-up for marketing purposes.

I had bought and attempted to use GoldMine and another CRM package long ago (I forget its name), and found, yet again, the programs cost too much to do too much.  MYOB at the time was about $99.  It was perfect.

Now I've used the same version of MYOB that I bought in 1992 up until this year. That is how good and robust the program has been.  Problem is the world has changed a bit since then, and there is more that can be done leveraging the internet.  Like marketing through emails, billing electronically, etc.

In order that I might keep my old copy of MYOB, I began looking at some of the "cloud" CRM packages, in particular Salesforce.com and http://capsulecrm.com/  I won't link to salesforce.com, because my advice is to avoid salesforce.com by all means.  They have an awesome client recruitment process, and then you are on your own.  I think what saelsforce.com offers is abysmal.  Microsoft's advertising campaign to sell microsoft's CRM is obviously based on the horror of trying to use salesforce.com.  Salesforce.com claims over 100,000 users.  Well, I paid, but never used it.  And for #1 in the category, 100,000 does not seem like a lot of users.

CapsuleCRM is great, with a freebie account for companies with less than 250 contacts to manage.  That just would not work for me.  Above that the pricing is fair, but more expensive than buying a copy of Accountedge.

So I took another look at MYOB.  MYOB changed its name to Acclivity about a decade ago.  The software is called Accountedge, and has basic, pro and network versions, both PC and Mac.  Still $99, which is about half of what $99 was 20 years ago. So I broke down and bought a new version that figures taxes down to the town level (not an issue for a wholesaler) but has all of the internet connectivity and processing benefits and even better CRM.

The help with what was new with Accountedge from live people was awesome, whereas once I had paid, any help from salesforce.com struck me as insulting.

Acclivity seems to have partnered to some degree with Apple, and Apple is quietly building breadth and depth in retail and other commerce systems.  You can check all that out by nosing around the Acclivity website.

This software has been around longer than Quicken and Money, and its origins is in accounting and CRM, something probably few current employees know, but was a factor in my decision to buy it way back in 1990.

Although you can find a copy in many Apple stores and some Office Depots and such, I'd recommend you just buy it direct from Acclivity and download your version.  Here is a strategy I recommend.

You can download a free 30 day trial.  Do so when you have time to work on it during the free trial.  Write down all of your questions, because if you decide to buy, you get 30 days free customer support.  Burn through any questions during that free time.

And say you use it and like it, they will pay you $100 if you recruit another user to buy it!  (No, I am not a part of that program, this is an uncompensated endorsement).

And, they will give your CPA a free copy, so he can easily do your taxes, etc.

And overseas, Accountedge is still sold as MYOB, for whatever reason.

For $99 pc or mac, this is the way to go.

***John Spiers will be offering an all-day seminar on small business international trade start up at Orange Coast College, Los Angeles Area, June 29, 2013.  Full info here...***


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to try MYOB after you recommended it, but do all accountants use it? I think most accountants and small businesses use QuickBooks. Yes, it is true that QB as a lot of options that we might never use, but every accountant has a copy of it.

John Wiley Spiers said...

Well, I don't know if all accountants use QB, but MYOB Accountedge is a accounting program, which any and all CPAs would understand. Since you are the client and they work for you, inform them you use Accountedge and give them the happy news they can have a free copy. I am sure they would welcome the business.

Nimble CRM said...

Even if you think you know everything there is to know about marketing your business, you've got to read this post.