Thursday, March 15, 2012

Drakkar Pope

A small business perfume maker picked up an order from the Vatican to make a cologne for the Pope.  It has lime, verbana and grass.  Now see, I would have based his cologne on frankincense and myrrh.  I guess that is why I am not in that business...

You cannot buy any for yourself, but the owner will make cologne just for you.  I was in the Vatican once examining some of its treasures when I overheard a protestant decry the luxury of the previous popes shoes and personal articles, and how the money could be better spent on the poor.  What the complainer did not understand is almost none of these things are bought, they are donated by artisans who want to contribute what they can.

Pope John Paul II spotted a pair of Doc Martins while in New York, a white patent leather high top boot, which he liked of all shoes.  His attendants could not abide the white laces with the white boots and searched high and low to find gold laces for the boots.  Happily New York has a large gay population so there are gold shoelaces on offer.

Working largely in the gift and housewares industry, in time it dawned on me, "if you enjoy it, a homosexual was involved."  No matter what industry, you can always trace the delightful and enjoyable things to a homosexual designer as the originator.  I am not saying gays don't design anything grave or serious, I am just saying what I said.



0 comments: