Sunday, March 25, 2012

Working Anarchy

Within Hong Kong, before the Communist take-over, was a place called Kowloon Walled City. It had been a Qing garrison, exempt from the colonial status given to the British.  Legally it passed to The Republic of China (Taiwan) after the communist takeover, but as a practical matter, it became a no man's land, a sort of sanctuary city for the Triads (Chinese mafia).

Here is a documentary on it, and as you watch it, keep in mind living there is entirely voluntary. You have to ask how come people stay?

Toutube does not serve the foour parts in sequence, so you have to cut and paste the title Kowloon Walled City documentary (Part 1/4) + english subtitles
and change the number 1 to 2 and 3 and 4 to see all 4 parts.

Forward this by email to three of your friends.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

for the past few weeks when i try to access you site i get the error message:

Service Unavailable
Error 503

It has been happening more & more - i would be very unhappy to lose you...
i do have an older mac & old browser that can not be updated without spending a lot of money which i would rather not do...
i hope this can be resolved???
christina

John Wiley Spiers said...

Hey Christina,

I googled "Service Unavailable
Error 503 mac" and got all sorts of interesting info, check it out... also, you can order up an email feed of my site to you be email...

At the bottom of the page I think you can just put in your email address and what I write gets sent to you...

let me know if you have problems...

John Wiley Spiers said...

Hey Christina,

I googled "Service Unavailable
Error 503 mac" and got all sorts of interesting info, check it out... also, you can order up an email feed of my site to you be email...

At the bottom of the page I think you can just put in your email address and what I write gets sent to you...

let me know if you have problems...