Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Spending Safety Margin

Aside form being weird, like those leashes some parents use to tether their kids in public places, like dogs, now comes a helmet for toddlers.  Time will tell but I bet these helmets lead to more injuries as harried parents ignore their kids now that they have "safety" helmets.  I talk about spending safety margins here.

Kids are designed to take falls, and the bumps and bruises signal the body systems to to exercise repair functions.  To allow kids no bumps and bruises is to deny their ability to develop their body's automatic repair system.  Just as playing in the dirt helps kids develop immune systems.

The big money is when this company starts paying politicians to require these helmets, and clean up like the car seat industry,  where once people drove more cautiously with baby aboard, they no longer need to because the kid is strapped in for an Apollo 11 flight.

My nieces and nephews are warned to stay away from me at family reunions because they will just end up crying.  They flock to me because I represent adventure which usual means crying eventually, but hey, uncle John is the most fun.  My siblings just say to their kids "I told you...now walk it off!"

Kids need roughhousing, danger, and bumps and bruises.  But there is money and an exercise of power in denying others good things.

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


0 comments: