Friday, September 14, 2012

Waitrose and Exporting Wine to China

At  this point in the game, the way to start exporting wine to China is to begin by importing Chinese wine here.  Build a relationship with the Chinese in the wine biz there (especially state owned/Jesuit founded wineries) by providing USA market feedback,  and in turn and in time ask the Chinese to test out USA wines.  You are on your way.

Any sales org that has a distribution channel in USA is set to work this strategy, but I know of no org trying it.  Waitrose is a big retailer in the UK importing Chinese wine, but as retailers they will never turn it around and begin exporting wine to China.  And the UK really has no wine anyway.

A state org approached me about doing a seminar on exporting ag in general and win in particular.  I sent them my seminar outline.  They never called back.  I didn't think they would.  Never mind I set up profitable export programs for two kinds of ag companies.

USA wine business is based on state subsidies and tax breaks, which led to malinvestment and overinvestment.  The process is now "last man standing."  As more and more wineries go under, the surviving ones get more business.  But the winery game was for rich people only, so it may take a while to run them down.

If anyone wants details on the China export strategy I mention above, just email me.







Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


0 comments: