Monday, January 7, 2013

It's Faster

If you search this blog you'll find plenty on Plan A and Plan B, the two bases from which to proceed in building a business.  Plan A is when you create your own designs to be made at the best factories and Plan B is where you buy items off the shelf from a factory to sell.

Occasionally I will entertain, in the right place and right time, in a sequence of discussions on this very basic point, and although it is painful for me to repeat it all again, I know I will find something as to motivations if I listen.

I got a call from someone who complimented me on my book and then asked for recommendations as to CPA, lawyer, customsbroker, sales reps and so on.  I asked her if she had customers, "sure, everyone loves my product."  Sigh.

To make a long story short I argued what constituted a customer (ready willing and able) and why until you have that you could not possible have a reason to retain, or decide on what criteria, professional help.  That comes AFTER you have customers.  Same with biz cards, bank accounts, etc....

The person over the last two days objected to Plan A because Plan B is faster.  Aha!  And yes, faster, but not in a way that she anticipates.

First things first, the customer is the most important thing, and the getting product right is the hardest thing.   If the product is easy (Plan B), that is some off the shelf item, then the customer is hard to get, because such items do the customer no good.  If the product is hard (Plan A), that is designed to customer demand, then the customer is easy, because it is, well, designed to demand.

Now the person said "Plan B is faster."  Does this not betray the orientation of the entrepreneur as being self-interested instead of customer-oriented?  That is another reason why Plan B is disadvantaged: it is clear to the customer you are about cutting corners and in it for yourself.  Yes, Plan B is faster, to failure.

Plan A takes time.  I replied to her it is the difference between fast food for dinner and a homecooked meal.  Yes, one is faster, but it will make you sick.  The other makes you strong.

"But everyone loves my product."  But everyone is not forking over the money to meet your needs to do this work.  It took some explaining, but my correspondent came up with a way to test her hypothesis with the samples she has.  We;ll see how she does with Plan B.

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


0 comments: