Saturday, October 31, 2015

Reality Happened to Amazon and Groupon

Groupon has gone in its short history from about $25 down to under $4...
Shares of consumer deals company Groupon (GRPN - Get Report) have plummeted some 55% in 2015, including a 48% plunge in the past six months. And Groupon stock has been under pressure for quite some time. Investors who have held Groupon in the past one-year or three-year periods have seen, respectively, 36% and 21% of their investment disappear.
Today I see a notice from Amazon's version of Groupon, the daily coupon deal:
On December 18, 2015, Amazon Local will stop selling daily deals at local.amazon.com and on the Amazon Local app.
All purchased vouchers will not be affected by this change and remain valid according to their terms. Learn more.
From October 30, 2015 until December 18, 2015 you can continue to purchase deals at Amazon Local as usual.
So they are admitting online marketing is not a viable way of promoting coupon deals.  How long will it take the hundreds of millions who believe online marketing is a viable means of business promotion to learn it is not true?  Since they all point to Amazon as the big success story in the field, when will Amazon's consistent contradiction convince them?  Malcredit creates such malinvestment and misallocation.

Now I should say I have two books that earn me a tidy sum each month, which are largely marketed online.  But only because I refuse to waste a dime on online marketing am I able to make money due to online marketing.  This is not a contradiction.

Because I know intellectual property rights is a moral evil, I can allow my book to be available at googlebooks 100% free of charge.  Since it is there free of charge to readers, it ends up the destination of many a google search into "small business international trade."  Since the entire books is opena nd free, people tend to land on precisely the part of the book that answers their interest.  And after a few pages of reading online, and seeing it pitched on the same page by Amazon in hardback and kindle version, people often click through and buy on Amazon.com.  Since I am the publisher, and I sell to amazon, I get teh wholesale markup and profit, and amazon earns a retail profit, and google gets a referral fee.  We all make money.  But I do not put a dime into this, your pension plan is losing value to keep this malinvestment operating as I make money from the very system.

Is it wrong for me to do so if I understand how it all works?  Your pension plan financed the destruction of the small retailers who would have sold my book.  Your pension plan is now defunct for those investments.  I am riding down what your money has wrought.

Yes, the world can be a wicked place, and that is good o know.  Just unload the delusions, look at the facts, admit it is awful, then see how you can make enough to live whatever your lifestyle.

If you have a $30,000 student loan for a "website development" degree, yikes!  If you are contemplating one, better you dig ditches now than go get such a degree.  You'll have better prospects.

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


0 comments: