Monday, March 13, 2006

Re: Digest Number 476

Re: [spiers] Digest Number 476 Diesel vs Gasoline

The highest mileage, non-hybred cars are the German VW
diesels(Golf, Jetta, and Passat). The diesel 2 stroke
cycle is more efficient than the "Otto" 4 stroke
cycle. I've also read that in Europe, where gas is
3x more expensive than in the US, 40% of all new cars
sold are diesel. Big-rigs use diesel engines because
of the fuel economy, power, and reliability.

Yes, they are dirty. But I'm hopefull there is a
technological answer to that problem.

Anthony

--- Ben Sinks wrote:

> >>You can change the
> engine to a much more efficient diesel <<
>
>
> I'm not a mechanic, but I've been told that diesel
> engines do not have higher gas milage than gasonline
> engines; in fact (I've been told) they have less
> milage than gas. And, they are less invironment
> friendly as well. They are only good for heavy
> vehicles that need the power - like big-rigs or fire
> trucks.


0 comments: