Monday, November 19, 2012

Allen Edmonds Shoes

Back when I took a sabbatical from work to get a degree, I was an impoverished student yet I forked over some $250 at the time (circa 1984) for a pair of Allen Edmonds black dress shoes.  Seems like a lot, but I knew they were a better value.  Some 30 years later, I bought another pair.

These shoes have been on me and through snow in Moscow and under water in Hong Kong and Venice.  I use Meltonian creme to shine them and they just keep going.  About a decade ago a young cat attacked then as part of a hunting expedition in my closet, and the microscopic tears eventually expanded.  If not for the cat, could I have gotten another decade?

At 30 years, $250 is much better than $100 every 5 years ($600 total) for say a pair of Cole Haan. Plus, they are more comfortable than any other I have worn. I've worn them standing for eight hours delivering a seminar.  But what about changing fashion?  A plain black toe cap never goes out of style.  I wear them working, to funerals and with a tuxedo. So I bought another pair, now $330. Here are one of each shoe on my feet, the old on the bottom and the new on the top.  (No, I do not wear black crew sox with dress shoes. That's just what I was wearing when I took the shot.  Sheesh.  Give me SOME credit.)


I carefully compared the two shoes made 30 years apart and as far as I can tell the only difference is they no longer tack the tongue in place, and don't roll under one seam on one layer on the tongue. I am pretty sure neither one matters.

But as to fashion,  a year or two after I bought the first pair,  I saw a pair of Allen Edmonds tassled loafers in a yellow brown that was probably the best looking shoe I'd ever seen. So I bought a pair of those as well.  Since I travel with both pairs, it too has seen the elements and the abuse I dish out.  But this particular shoe is no longer made, but not to worry.  Allen Edmonds will "recraft" any of their shoes.  So for about $100, they made a style that is no longer available pretty well restored.  (30 year old leather is 30 year old leather, so I can't say "like new.")

So what is the lesson?  Sometimes buying high-end is the most economical decision.  Allen Edmonds does not compete on price, and is still going strong.  Quality matters, and it is an element in design.  We don't compete on price, we compete on design.

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


0 comments: