Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pentagon Shaped Iyokan Citrus Fruits

Not exactly what I mean when I say compete on design in fruit and veggies, but it is clearly competing on design.  The express reason for the change is for competitive purposes, and the change is a bit of a gimmick, like the square watermelon thirty years ago.
Farmers in Japan have created these usual pentagon-shaped fruits
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2540670/The-perfect-half-time-oranges-five-football-matches-Farmers-create-pentagon-shaped-fruit.html
Where in East Asia the pentagon shape may mean good luck, I suspect in the Middle East it has meant nothing but misery for the last twenty years.  Outside of Israel, a limited market I think.  But who knows?  Always test a market, opinions never matter.  "Eat the pentagon" may become a fad in the Levant.

GMO is competing on design as well, but in a Dr Evil sort of way.  ("An evil veterinarian?")

Competing on design in agriculture to my mind is limited to the necessary and sufficient mutations Mendel codified and Jacob used to get rich with his flocks.

Feel free to forward this by email to three of your friends.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...


I just saw yellow raspberries for sale at the grocery store today. That's new to me.